Aleris is a global leader in the manufacture and sale of aluminum rolled products, with approximately 14 facilities in three geographically aligned business units in North America, Europe and China. We serve a variety of end-use industries, including aerospace, automotive, defense, building and construction, transportation, packaging, and consumer goods.
We are seeking to add a talented hands-on lean manager to our team at the Davenport, IA facility. The purpose of this role is to lead the implementation, training, teaching, coaching, support, and management of the implementation of a world class continuous improvement system using lean and six sigma techniques. The role will require approx. 10% travel to the various sites within North America. This position is a key support and tactical execution role of the cornerstones of the Aleris Operating System (AOS) – Reliable People(Operations), Reliable Process, Reliable Assets.
• Lead the implementation of a world class AOS system: Reliable People (Lean Operations), Reliable Process (Aleris process Control), Reliable Assets (Equipment Reliability).
• Support the building and development of the AOS system.
• Drive the cultural transformation within the plant
• Train and develop leaders on lean principles, cultural transformation, and the lean leader mindset.
• Deliver training on a comprehensive world class Lean curriculum for Engineers, technical support, operations, maintenance and staff throughout the plant.
• Apply the Aleris Lean activities and tools to the day to day business.
• Deploy and teach Lean tools at the plant level, including core tools: 5S, A3 Thinking, SMED, RCFA, TWI, Standardized Work, VSM, TPM, APC, Equipment Reliability and Problem Solving.
• Focus the plant organization toward improvements on safety and reliability (people, process, equipment) through lean techniques and employee engagement.
• Demonstrate effective team facilitation skills to engage the team and deliver results on time.
• Drive change within the plant teams to enable Aleris to continuously improve performance, which includes managing the transformation road-map, and leveraging Information Centers for continuous improvement, and creating a visual workplace.
• Coach and develop a problem solving culture at all levels of the organization.
• Ability to communicate across the organization at all levels, from individual contributors to leadership level.
• Openly and effectively communicate about continuous improvement, build credibility through relationships, and provide leadership to the program.
• Be a resource for operations, maintenance, HSE and supply chain in support of delivering the plant business objectives.
• Spend 75% of working time at Gemba (on the plant floor) focusing on employee engagements and teaching the lean concepts.
• Bachelor’s degree and/or combination of experience.
• 5+ years of overall experience with 2+ years focused on facilitating, coaching and implementing TPM, Lean, kaizen/six sigma events and driving lean transformation with proven results and implementations in a manufacturing environment.
• Lean Six Sigma green belt training/certification
• Proven ability to successfully manage cross functional teams, and implement improvement within an established time frame, then sustain improvements.
• High energy, data driven, and results oriented.
• Excellent interpersonal, written, verbal communication skills and organization skills, must be comfortable teaching and presenting to large groups at all levels of the organization from shop floor to CEO.
• Must be proficient in MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power-Point, MS Project, Oracle, and various analysis tools (mini-tab, etc).
• Willingness to travel approximately 10% of the time.
• Aluminum Casting or Rolling Experience.
• CMRP or SMRP certification.
• Lean Six Sigma Black Belt
Aleris is an equal opportunity employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Our HR teams will reach out to the applicants who met the qualifications and most closely aligned with requirements of the positions.