Aleris is a global leader in the manufacture and sale of aluminum rolled products, with approximately 14 facilities in three geographically aligned business units in North America, Europe and China. We serve a variety of end-use industries, including aerospace, automotive, defense, building and construction, transportation, packaging, and consumer goods.
This position manages the production function by leading, training and developing a team of operators and workers such that they are capable of continuously achieving the expected performance levels. This includes but is not limited to the areas of safety, employee involvement, scheduling, human resource issues, and work place orderliness. Success in this role will be primarily measured by the ability to reduce waste through the Aleris Operating System, and through the achievement of operational objectives of Safety, Quality, Delivery and Cost.
Schedules and directs employees in assignment and completion of production work. Creates and trains a team of workers to achieve or exceed budgeted production goals while maintaining compliance with environmental and other regulatory requirements.
• Checks the types, location, quantity, and availability of materials needed to complete the production requirements for the shift. Checks records from previous shift, and alerts maintenance of potential equipment problems. Directs incoming material shipments where, when and how to unload.
• Supports FFL initiatives and projects which drive continual improvement, foster a culture of safety leadership, development of employees, and support business objectives.
• Establishes or adjusts work procedures to meet schedules. Determines overtime work schedule and approves employee time in Kronos.
Completes on a daily basis all production information to be entered.
• Interprets instructions, specifications, or job orders to employees.
• Monitors production output and quality data. Maintains time and production records. Compiles reports for management review. Provides hands-on operation of furnaces with responsibility for optimizing recoveries.
• Recommends measures to improve production methods, equipment performance, and quality of product. Suggests changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase employee efficiency.
• Analyzes and resolves or assists workers in resolving work related problems.
• Conducts meetings with employees and ensures compliance with all health, safety and environmental regulations, and company policies and procedures.
• Confers with other supervisors to coordinate activities of individual departments or shifts.
• Provides relief supervision on weekends, nights and holidays or as needed.
• Directly supervises 10 to 20 production employees.
• Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Aleris policies and applicable laws.
• Responsibilities include training employees, planning, assigning, and directing work, appraising performance, disciplining employees and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and two to three years directly related experience; or equivalent combination of education and directly related supervisory experience.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
• Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations is required.
• Proven ability to develop, implement and manage systems and procedures and work with minimal supervision while also leading others toward plant goal achievement.
• Must possess strong interpersonal, communication and team leadership skills.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, Excel.
• Oracle experience preferred.
• Highly motivated, goal oriented, ethical and challenge driven.
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
• Valid driver's license required.
Aleris is an equal opportunity employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Our HR teams will reach out to the applicants who met the qualifications and most closely aligned with requirements of the positions.