Aleris is a global leader in the manufacture and sale of aluminum rolled products, with approximately 14 facilities in three geographically aligned business units in North America, Europe and China. We serve a variety of end-use industries, including aerospace, automotive, defense, building and construction, transportation, packaging, and consumer goods.
Our North American division is seeking to add a talented Production Superintendent to our team. The purpose of this role is to lead and provide direction for the execution of plans for the Finishing and Cold Mill department. This position will ensure that production runs with the task of maximizing productivity and quality; engage the team to drive a continuous improvement culture by utilizing the Aleris Operating System (AOS) to eliminate waste, overburden and variability in manufacturing processes; act as a role model for safety by demonstrating behaviors that align with the Aleris safety principles and hold the team accountable for results; and provides leadership, direction, coaching and development to motivate and sustain high levels of employee performance.
Health, Safety & Environmental
• Leverage the Aleris Safety System and Safety Principles to create a zero injury culture.
• Implement and support processes that reveal safety hazards, and develop sustainable corrective actions.
• Ensure daily safety crew briefings are held by the supervisors on each shift.
• Ensure that company policies and procedures are being executed by his/her team in order to ensure compliance with all health, safety and environmental regulations.
• Ensure the team is being retrained on the relevant safety procedures in accordance with the HSE Department’s schedule.
• Investigate and document safety related incidents in the assigned area, and report out on incidents.
• Ensure that the daily production goals for throughput, quality, target date and cost are being achieved by his or her team.
• Ensure that a safe job execution has priority over a quick job execution.
• Lead capacity planning and resource allocation for short and medium term production demands.
• Ensure the availability of materials needed to complete production requirements.
• Conduct and participates in Safety and Production Meetings.
• Ensures that quality requirements, sample taking, documentation and record keeping are being executed by his/her team.
• Ensure deviations from the standard process are effectively communicated to the relevant people/functions.
• Schedule layered process audits (LPAs) to improve quality, reduce scrap and rework and reduced internal and external customer rejections.
• Ensure communication across shifts and with maintenance and engineering occurs regarding production concerns, overtime, manning, status of work assignments or any other item that may impact production.
• Working with department manager, develop yearly operations plan for the assigned area.
• Engage with his/her team to develop and implement standard work.
• Engage his/her team to drive a continuous improvement culture by utilizing AOS to eliminate waste, overburden and variability in manufacturing processes.
• Lead and/or actively participates in productivity, safety and quality improvement projects.
• Develop solutions for process improvement, cost reduction and yield improvement.
Management and Leadership
• Provide effective leadership to inspire employees to perform at high levels.
• Sets and communicates clear performance standards and holds direct reports accountable for results.
• Conducts performance appraisals and maintains performance metrics to monitor direct reports’ results; identify and initiate improvements for development and/or training.
• Provides on-going coaching, feedback and development to increase direct reports’ performance and production.
• Communicates effectively with direct reports and resolves conflicts within and between individual team members.
• Ensure supervisors are held accountable for tracking employee attendance and entering data in the timekeeping system.
• Lead by example and ensures direct reports maintain a climate of consistency, trust and employee involvement by adhering to all applicable rules in the Labor Agreement.
Aleris is an equal opportunity employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexuall orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Our HR teams will reach out to the applicants who meet the qualifications and are most closely aligned with the requirements of the position.