Aleris is a global leader in the manufacture and sale of aluminum rolled products, with approximately 14 facilities in three geographically aligned business units in North America, Europe and China. We serve a variety of end-use industries, including aerospace, automotive, defense, building and construction, transportation, packaging, and consumer goods. Our team is seeking to add a talented Production Supervisor to our facility in Clayton, New Jersey.
This front-line leader (FLL) is a critical member of the plant leadership team. The FLL participates in the development and leads the execution of strategies and plans for their area(s) of responsibility utilizing the Aleris Operating System (AOS). The FLL provides leadership, direction, coaching, and development to motivate and sustain high levels of employee performance. The FLL consistently meets or exceeds desirable results in the areas of health, safety, and environmental, quality, on-time delivery, cost (OEE, absorption, yield, etc.), and employee engagement. The FLL also understands and enforces company policies, procedures, and practices in accordance with country and/or state regulatory, statutory, ethical and/or compliance standards.
Health, Safety, & Environmental
• A role model for safety; demonstrates behaviors that aligns with the Aleris safety principles and holds the team accountable for results.
• Implements processes that reveal safety hazards, and develops sustainable corrective actions.
• Ensures compliance with all health, safety and environmental regulations, company policies and procedures.
• Demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of the Aleris Safety System and actively collaborates with direct reports and colleagues to continuously improve the execution of the system for a zero injury culture
Production, Maintenance, and Quality
• Engages his or her team to drive a continuous improvement culture by utilizing AOS to relentlessly attack and eliminate waste, overburden and variability in manufacturing processes.
• Understands the manufacturing process and has the technical knowledge to ensure product quality and flow.
• Engages his or her team to operate equipment at or above standard.
• Conducts capacity planning and resource allocation for short and long term production demands.
• Ensures the availability of materials needed to complete production requirements.
Relentless Drive for Improvement
• Applies appropriate AOS tools to identify and solve manufacturing problems and sustain solutions.
• Prevents irrelevant issues or distractions from interfering with timely completion of FLL’s Standard Work.
• Modifies or develops work instructions per the ISO 9001:2008 quality system guidelines to keep current with actual practice within the Mill and works within the parameters created by the ISO9001:2008 quality system.
• Delivers results through continuous process improvements; recognizes problems as opportunities for improvement.
• Identify gaps between benchmark performance and average shift performance, facilitate continuous improvements with team, and allocate responsibilities for implementing improvement plans.
• Assesses and selects talent to improve performance capabilities within his or her area of responsibility.
• Understands how FLL behaviors and improvement activities impact cash conversion, EBITDA, and other key financials.
• Periodically presents critical metrics to direct reports, plant management, and other stakeholders via information centers to identify problems and discuss potential solutions.
• Sees the big picture. Supports short-term targets but also makes decisions that foster long-term success.
• Recommends measures to improve production methods, equipment performance, and quality of production.
• Ensures compliance to budget and production schedules; monitors performance output, time and data quality.
• Inspires employees to perform at high levels and communicates their value to the success of the operation.
• Provides on-going coaching, feedback and development to increase employee performance and productivity.
• Recognizes and rewards behaviors that produces safe, profitable results and corrects poor performance.
• Is consistent and fair when dealing with people and honors personal commitments.
• Conducts performance appraisals and maintains performance metrics to monitor employee results; identify and initiate improvements for development and/or training.
• Involves team in decisions, problem solving and continuous improvement activities.
• Leverages change as an opportunity to improve the business; help employees overcome resistance to change.
• Schedules and directs employee assignments and completion of work production.
• Shares ownership and visibility for individual and group success; accepts responsibility for failures.
• Proactively builds trust and effective working relationships with direct reports and other departments; coordinates daily with Department Manager and/or Production Planner to review equipment schedules.
• Coordinates resolution of equipment and/or quality issues with Department Manager, Technical Manager, Maintenance Manager, and/or Production Planner.
• Partners with local management to ensure employees have the skills, knowledge, and tools to do their jobs safely and effectively.
• Actively collaborates with plant leadership and direct reports to establish clear standard work instructions and audits.
• Demonstrates respect to employees, peers, managers, customers, suppliers, etc.
• Sets and communicates clear performance standards and holds direct reports accountable for results.
• Communicates effectively with direct reports and resolves conflicts within and between individual team members.
• Encourages others to express opinions and actively listens to understand others.
• Knows when to make decisions at the point-of-contact and when to escalate decisions to upper management.
• Perform all other duties and projects as assigned by the Production Manager.
• High school diploma is required. Bachelor or Associates Degree, plus 1-2 years of industrial leadership experience preferred. Related experience and/or training in a manufacturing environment is a bonus.
• Strong analytical, problem solving and interpersonal skills. Proficient computer skills in applications such as Microsoft Word & Excel; Ability to learn new software packages quickly and apply knowledge to daily tasks and projects. Ability to work independently with minimal direction.
• Work with a sense of urgency daily. Ability to provide clear task assignments, create a shared understanding of strategic direction, promote a sense of purpose, and inspire motivation.
• Ability to bring together appropriate people and information to make timely, effective decisions. Ability to work in conceptual and theoretical project design and for the creation of improved systems.
• Must possess strong drive to develop decision making and problem solving skills including the ability to solve problems while exhibiting practical judgment and realistic understanding of the issues involved. Must be able to overcome obstacles and find reasonable resolutions to situations on a case by case basis as encountered. Must have the ability and confidence to make decisions relating to role’s accountabilities. Must exercise discretion when determining if direction from manager is needed.
• Ability to use logic, math and database tools to support strategic plans and tactical initiatives.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form. Must be able to recognize data needed in order to make decisions, collect data, and analyze in order to determine direction in which to proceed. If issue is beyond authority level or scope of work, must recommend plan of action to manager in order to proceed.
• Ability to achieve results, manage multiple tasks and objectives and to manage change.
• Willing to provide constructive feedback, provide information clearly and generate solutions.
• Preferred Skills: Experience working with manufacturing based technology, processes and principles and knowledge of lean manufacturing and ISO9001:2008. Ability to demonstrate effective team leadership and team membership skills.
Aleris is an equal opportunity employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Our HR teams will reach out to the applicants who met the qualifications and most closely aligned with requirements of the position.