Aleris is a global leader in the manufacture and sale of aluminum rolled products, with approximately 14 facilities in three geographically aligned business units in North America, Europe and China. We serve a variety of end-use industries, including aerospace, automotive, defense, building and construction, transportation, packaging, and consumer good.
Our Production department is seeking to add a talented Production Supervisor to our Newport facility. The purpose of this role is to safely, efficiently and effectively contribute to the overall operating process and provide quality product to our customers.
Purpose of the role:
To provide support that allows the organization to meet their objectives concerning production, quality, recovery, and delivery. To provide and promote a safe working environment by demonstrating the standards of behavior expected of all Aleris employees.
1. Promote and require safe working behaviors and practices within work group by following and demonstrating organizational safety policies.
2. Complete all daily, weekly and monthly safety meetings to ensure workforce is continuously kept up to date on organization wide safety policies.
3. Achieve production, recovery, delivery performance and quality objectives in order to produce and deliver superior quality product to our customers in a timely manner.
4. Monitor and formulate decisions to optimize material flow through the Finishing Department and provide the necessary course of action to correct problem areas.
5. Complete all required paperwork on a timely basis and retain for historical purposes.
6. Work within the parameters created by the ISO9001 Quality System and ISO14001 Environmental Standard.
7. Search for and cultivate ideas that stimulate growth for continuous improvement, dashboards and Lean document implementation.
8. Demonstrate team leadership and membership behavior.
9. Hold daily AOS Information Center meetings with each crew member (entire crew).
10. Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience: The position requires a high school diploma or equivalent, and previous supervisory experience working in a heavy duty manufacturing environment.
Required Skills: Strong communication skills (verbal and written), and excellent leadership skills.
Preferred Skills: Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Industrial Engineering, MS Office, Safety training, Mechanical aptitude, Metal blending experience, and Metals rolling mill experience. Proficient arithmetic and mental processing ability also preferred.
Decision Making: Must possess strong decision making and problem solving skills including the ability to solve problems while exhibiting practical judgment and realistic understanding of the issues involved. Must be able to overcome obstacles and find reasonable resolutions to situations on a case by case basis as encountered. Must have the ability and confidence to make decisions relating to role’s accountabilities. Must exercise discretion when determining if direction from manager is needed. Is accountable for the outcomes of decisions made.
Analytical Thinking: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Must be able to recognize data needed in order to make decisions, collect that data, and analyze in order to determine direction in which to proceed. If issue is beyond authority level or scope of work, must recommend plan of action to manager in order to proceed.
Physical Demands: The position involves working in a heavy industrial environment requiring a 12-hour rotating shift assignment that will include weekend and holiday work and frequent walking. Assignment will cover all shifts, versus a permanent fixed shift assignment. Must also perform office related duties that may require any or all of the following: keyboarding, bending, standing, moving, talking, lifting, ability to sit for long periods of time at a desk, in meetings or in front of a computer.
Aleris is an equal opportunity employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Our HR teams will reach out to the applicants who met the qualifications and most closely aligned with requirements of the positions.