Aleris is a global leader in the manufacture and sale of aluminum rolled products, with approximately 14 facilities in three geographically aligned business units in North America, Europe and China. We serve a variety of end-use industries, including aerospace, automotive, defense, building and construction, transportation, packaging, and consumer goods.
Our Rolled Products North America (RPNA) division is seeking a HSE (Health, Safety, and Environmental) Specialist at operational facilities located in Ashville, OH. The position functions within the local HSE Team reporting to the Ashville HSE Manager and provides direct staff support to Aleris; manages environmental compliance programs; articulates regulatory impact on operations to upper management; investigates, recognizes and recommends corrective actions for environmental compliance issues and continuous improvement actions while functioning in a safe, efficient and cost effective manner.
• To provide direct support to the plant staff; articulates regulatory impact on operations to upper management; investigate, recognize, report, and recommend corrective actions on safety and environmental compliance issues while functioning in a safe, efficient and cost effective manner.
• Ability to learn, read, understand, and communicate HSE regulatory requirements.
• Inspections: Perform or assure that all daily, weekly, monthly, or other periodic HSE inspections are completed as required by local, state, and federal enforceable statutes, permits, or company policy as prescribed either by or company policy.
• Reporting: Compile information and prepare various HSE reports to insure accurate and timely submittal to local, state, and/or federal regulatory agencies to maintain necessary operating permits.
• Training: Attend training programs necessary to fulfill the role responsibilities. Also, develop and/or present HSE training materials to plant employees as required by enforceable statutes or company policy.
• Compliance Assurance: Audit and maintain systems to insure compliance with all applicable environmental programs of facilities. Monitor and educate local management of regulatory initiatives and proposed rules. Identify opportunities for continuous improvement of environmental compliance (e.g. waste reduction, data collection, record keeping, reporting)
• Regulatory Authorities: The incumbent shall maintain professional, cordial, and credible relationships with environmental regulatory authorities. Local, State, and Federal environmental agencies conduct routine inspections. This role will be responsible for escorting such inspectors through site operations, responding to the inspection inquires, and communicating inspection results to supervisor and site management.
• Conduct behavior based safety observations .
• Data Review: Must be able to make recommendations on corrective or preventative compliance actions based on data acquisition systems.
• Authority to provide guidance for operating procedures as directed by Manager.
• Collect and analyze injury data to identify trends and recommend improvements.
• Audit Health and Safety Procedures, maintain necessary records and plant SOS records
• Assist in the incident investigation for all HS&E incidents: environmental excursions, NOV's, near misses and injuries.
• Oversee the waste water facility, providing supervision, reporting to Aleris management and Ohio EPA.
• Certification, if not currently certified. A minimum of a Bachelor Degree relevant field (Engineering; Occupational Safety or Environmental related) or a Bachelor Degree with a relevant HSE Professional Certification (Certifications including GSP, ASP or CSP and Ohio Class I Waste Water Operator are acceptable)
• Requires strong interpersonal and communication skills, working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Must have the ability to contribute and participate in a team environment. Ability to accomplish assigned tasks, provide feedback, construct plans, and demonstrates confidence in team leader and member roles.
• Maintain confidentiality in all aspects of the work in the role.
• The ability to recognize and analyze critical issues, identify and assign resources and follow-up to task completion.
• Able to apply sampling and analysis protocol to provide accurate data and to explain and train others in sampling protocol.
• Must actively seek to pursue Ohio Waste Water Class I Operator
Aleris is an equal opportunity employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Our HR teams will reach out to the applicants who met the qualifications and most closely aligned with requirements of the positions.